Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves
Thu 16th November 2023
Amber Valley Borough Council is proposing to make a new area-wide Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO).
The PSPO is being proposed due to: “growing concerns regarding ‘car cruising’ activity throughout the Amber Valley Borough Council area.”
A spokesman for the council said: “Car cruises often result in reports of anti-social behaviour from residents and local businesses who are affected as well as impacting other road users.
“In addition, these often spontaneous events place a significant demand on policing resources, local private security staff, and in some cases council resources.”
The council spokesman went on to explain some of the anti-social behaviours which are attached to car cruising. They include:
• Performing stunts using a motor vehicle (including but not limited to performing doughnuts, drifting, skidding, handbrake turns, and wheel spinning);
• Causing a danger or risk of injury to road users (including pedestrians) by speeding or racing in a motor vehicle;
• Causing an obstruction on a public highway, whether moving or stationary, including driving in convoy in a motor vehicle;
• Causing or allowing loud amplified music, or other loud noise to be emitted from a motor vehicle or from a portable device (so as to cause a nuisance);
• Promoting, publicising, or organising any car cruise or car cruising event to occur within the Restricted Area by the internet, social media, email, hoardings, publications, or adverts;
• Sounding motor vehicle horns other than in accordance with the Highway Code in such a manner as to cause a nuisance to persons in the locality of the Restricted Area;
• Revving of motor vehicle engines so as to cause a nuisance to persons in the locality of the Restricted Area.
The council spokesman added: “We have produced a useful set of frequently asked questions that will help residents to understand Public Spaces Protection Orders in more detail.
“We would like to hear your views on the proposals, please complete our online consultation form.”
The deadline for comments to be submitted to AVBC is Friday, November 24.”
For further details and to take part in the consultation go to https://www.ambervalley.gov.uk/community/community-safety/public-space-protection-orders/car-cruising-pspo-consultation
Funding up for grabs for ‘warm and welcoming’ projects
Job vacancy: Trainee Site Assistant at David Nieper Academy
“Think which service” this Winter urge health leaders
All aboard for Santa Special at heritage railway
Round-up of planning applications for the DE55 area in November 2023