Posted by: Jacqueline Rodgers
Thu 28th September 2023
Thank you for showing an interest in the post of Cover Supervisor at the David Nieper Academy.
Our Academy is sponsored by the Christopher Nieper Education Trust, together with local employer partners, who are highly committed in supporting the development and achievements of our students.
With an innovative approach to teaching, hands-on learning and brand-new purpose-built facilities, which opened in February 2017, we believe that this is a truly exciting time to join the academy.
We are a growing academy now of 780 students 11-18 and will soon be at our full capacity of 850 students 11-18.
Our September 2022 Ofsted Inspection graded the academy as ‘Good in all areas’, a fantastic improvement from the ‘inadequate’ Ofsted rating when we took over the academy – and we endeavour to build on this as we grow and develop further. We are currently the only academy within the Trust but our plans are to grow in the near future.
Our aim is to raise standards, expectations, inspire excellence and to encourage students to achieve their full potential. We will help them develop confidence and key lifelong learning skills and to obtain the qualifications required as they look to future careers and explore the many opportunities in further education, apprenticeships, university and beyond.
The David Nieper Academy has a clear distinctive character due to the integrated involvement of its prestigious business partners. High profile local businesses, most being either international or national household names such as Denby Pottery, Owen Taylor & Sons Ltd, Bowmer & Kirkland, Places for People, Equip UK alongside David Nieper Ltd, are committed to bringing the world of work and 21st Century employment practices into every classroom.
Practical contextual applied learning has been proven to assist all students in retaining and understanding more fully the concepts and principles taught in the classroom. We are looking for a candidate who will embrace this approach and ensure that David Nieper Academy is adopting this approach through its world class learning pedagogies.
If you like the sound of the academy and Trust and are keen to be instrumental in its future success, then we would like to hear from you and look forward to receiving your application by Wednesday 11th October 2023. Interviews likely to be week commencing 16th October 2023.
If you have any queries please contact Mrs Jacqueline Rodgers, HR Manager, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Richard White
Head of School
Christopher Nieper Education Trust
David Nieper Academy, Grange Street, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 7JA
Age Range – 11-18
37 Hours per week / 39 Weeks per year
(Term-time only plus INSET days)
Hours: 8am – 4.45pm Monday, 8am – 3.45pm Tuesday to Thursday and 8am – 3.30pm Friday
Start: As soon as possible
Responsible to Assistant Headteacher
Salary: Grade 7 point 8 FTE £23,033 Pro-Rata to 39 weeks (pay award pending)
Do you want to support our students onto greater things? Are you excited by the opportunities and possibilities for students available through applied learning and working in partnership with local employers? Can you offer support and guidance to ensure that our students can make progress?
The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed academy in Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand-new school building was opened in early 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across year groups. We have seen an increase in student numbers within each year group and we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key driver in enhancing the academic and social achievement of our students.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic cover supervisor who has the determination and drive to become an outstanding practitioner.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people, so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Candidates should indicate an acceptance of, and a commitment to, the Academy’s policies in relation to equality and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
It is an offence to apply for this role if an applicant is barred from engaging in regulated activity relevant to children.
Please follow the below link to view the Christopher Nieper Education Trust Safeguarding/Child Protection Policy https://davidnieper.academy/about-us/academy-policies/
How to Apply
To apply please complete and return an application form along with your covering letter, clearly demonstrating your suitability for this post. Send via email for the attention of Mrs Jacqueline Rodgers, HR Manager, via email at email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 11th October 2023
If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume that unfortunately, on this occasion, your application has not been successful.
Job Description: Cover Supervisor
• To promote the corporate image of the academy and high standards of behaviour and courtesy among students.
• To provide effective support for teaching staff and students.
• To promote and support the implementation of academy aims, policies and values.
• To work flexibly as part of the support staff team to contribute to the smooth operation of the academy.
• To use academy computer hardware and software packages where appropriate.
• Candidates should indicate an acceptance of, and a commitment to, the Academy’s policies in relation to equality and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
• In the absence of a teacher provide supervision of and be responsible for a class of students during lesson time.
• Manage the behaviour of students to promote and maintain order and a calm working environment for students, including implementation of the academy behaviour policy. Report back as appropriate on the behaviour of students during lesson, and any issues arising, using the academy agreed referral procedures.
• Establish productive working relationships with students, acting as a role model and setting high expectations.
• Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students within the classroom and academy. Ensure the health, safety and welfare of students is maintained at all times.
• Establish constructive relationships and communicate with other relevant professionals, in liaison with the teacher, to support students’ learning and progress.
• Liaise with teachers and other relevant professionals regarding the work set for a class.
• Communicate the work set by the class teacher to the students and ensure that students are aware of the teacher’s expectations during the course of the lesson with regard to task completion.
• Motivate students to complete tasks set by the class teacher and encourage students to interact and work co-operatively as appropriate with others to ensure all students are engaged on the set task. Respond to any questions from students about process and procedures.
• Deal with any immediate problems or emergencies in accordance with academy policies and procedures.
• To work in conjunction with the Deputy Headteacher
• Wherever possible liaise with the teacher in advance of the lesson to discuss and agree the tasks to be set and completed.
• Collect any completed work after the lesson and return it to the class teacher as appropriate.
• Invigilate examinations.
• Provide administrative support for designated curriculum areas e.g. preparation of worksheets, display materials, etc.
• Accompany teaching staff and students on educational visits as necessary.
• Contribute to the overall ethos, aims and work of the academy.
• Be aware of, uphold, and contribute towards the development of academy policies and procedures.
• Participate in appropriate academy-based meetings and training activities.
• Undertake any administrative duties relevant and appropriate to this post.
• Create and maintain displays around the academy.
• Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be regarded as within the nature of the duties, responsibilities and grade of this post. Any changes of a permanent nature will be incorporated into the job description in specific terms, following consultation with the postholder.
The postholder will be expected to:
• Take an active part in appraising their own work against agreed priorities and targets in accordance with the academy performance management and supervision arrangements.
• Undertake any necessary training associated with the duties of the post.
• Maintain confidentiality at all times and to observe Date Protection guidelines.
• Understand and comply with the academy equal opportunities and other policies.
• Comply with all Health and Safety.
• Ongoing training, support and mentoring will be provided
• Free access to Health Assured Employee Assistance Programme
• Free onsite Parking
• Generous discount at the David Nieper Ltd factory shop
• Ability to manage the behaviour of students to promote and maintain order and a calm working environment for students
• Ability to motivate students.
• Ability to work at own initiative, and as part of a team.
• Ability to work in a flexible and responsive way with tact, discretion and confidentiality.
• Ability to relate well to children and adults.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Competency in numeracy and literacy.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to use ICT effectively to support learning.
• Ability to use IT to set and record cover requirements.
• Ability to support the processes and procedures for students’ learning.
• Knowledge of appropriate classroom skills to support student progress and learning
• Knowledge of a range of subject areas so that tasks can be described and explained to students as required
• Awareness of confidentiality issues linked to home/student/teacher/academy work.
• Understanding of the aims, content, and intended outcomes of teaching and learning in relation to the national and the academy curriculum.
• Understanding of principles of child development and learning processes.
• Knowledge of a range of strategies to promote good behaviour.
• Awareness of the statutory frameworks relevant to their role.
• Knowledge and understanding of the different classroom roles and responsibilities in relation to this post.
• Awareness of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, equal opportunities, confidentiality, and data protection and of other relevant legislation.
• Experience working with children, young people.
• Administrative duties.
• Experience of using cover software for setting and recording cover requirements.
• 5 GCSE pass or equivalent of NVQ Level 2 including Maths/numeracy and English/literacy.
• Appropriate first aid training.
• A level/Level 3 qualification.
Method of Application
1. We will only accept applications on the David Nieper Academy application form. Curriculum Vitae will not be accepted.
2. The statement in your application should focus on:
Candidate’s previous experience which will help in successfully undertaking the role
Personal skills to benefit the learning by students at the David Nieper Academy.
3. For any queries or if you would like to visit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Completed application forms to be returned via email for the attention of Mrs Jacqueline Rodgers, to email@example.com
5. The school operates a NO SMOKING policy on site.
6. Interviews – Candidates invited to interview will:
(a) Lead a lesson of prepared activities
(b) Have the opportunity to tour the school
(c) Complete an In-tray exercise
(d) Have a formal individual interview with the selection panel.
An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful candidates that are offered a position within our Academy. If you are successful at the interview stage and you have accepted our offer of employment, then a DBS check will be started. If you subsequently withdraw from the position after accepting our employment offer, then you may be required to pay for the DBS check charge.
Donna's Fitness - Yoga & Meditation
AVBC planning board to discuss huge Somercotes housing development
Water safety expert from Alfreton named as finalist in national STA Aquatic Excellence Awards
Water safety expert from Alfreton named as finalist in national STA Aquatic Excellence Awards
Alfreton Youngsters Umbrella Provision moves to new venue