Match report – Alfreton Town 0-0 Boston United AET

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Thu 25th April 2024

Here is the latest match report from Alfreton Town from the Alfreton Football Club’s website.

Alfreton Town 0-0 Boston United AET on Tuesday, April 23

Heroic Reds fall agonisingly short after gargantuan effort

It was heartbreak for Alfreton Town in their National League play-off eliminator at a packed Impact Arena on Tuesday night, bowing out on penalties after a tense nail-biting encounter with Boston United.
A nervy start contributed to a sterile first half, the main chances in this period being a sharp cross by Keaton Ward that fizzed straight through a crowded Reds’ goalmouth, Josh Clackstone firing wide at the other end following a blocked Jake Day shot and a rasper from Kelsey Mooney that just evaded the crossbar from a 37th minute Brad Nicholson throw.
There was much more action after the interval with Jai Rowe just managing to intercept at the last gasp as Jordan Thewlis shaped to head home at the back poston 52, then moments later a breathtaking run from Billy Fewster culminated in George Cantrill’s header being comfortably saved by Cameron Gregory.
George Willis was the next keeper in action denying Ward, then a blistering foray by Boston sub Deji Sotona ended with his cross passing straight through the goalmouth.
Five minutes from the end of normal time Gerry McDonagh saw a shot blocked before heading wide, then Thewlis’ shot was saved and Adam Lund headed into Gregory’s arms from a corner as Alfreton tried their hardest to break the deadlock.
Into an unprecedented ten minutes of added time with Thewlis firing over from possibly the best chance of the game before a dangerous free-kick in response saw Michael Bostwick’s drive charged down.
It was still too close to call as extra time began, the tension only lightened by a bizarre moment when United manager Ian Culverhouse deliberately nudged Lund as he was taking a long throw outside the away dugout, referee Darius Bradley brandishing a red card after consultation with the fourth official.
On with the game and Boston should have settled the issue on 117 minutes when Michael Gyasi sprinted clear and was side-stepping Willis when a timely intervention by Kennedy Digie Prolonged parity.
The final chance fell to Lewis Salmon, whose run to the by-line ended with a stifled shot being held by Gregory.
The dreaded penalty shoot-out loomed – dreaded because Alfreton Town’s history dictates about a 20% success rate in such circumstances.
McDonagh, Clackstone, Salmon and Liam Waldock all delivered perfect penalty kicks, with Boston equally as good via Bostwick, Zak Mills, Jordan Richards and Deji Sotona.
4-4 then, but Harry Perritt’s penalty was saved by Gregory and Gyasi’s success from the spot heralded mass hysteria from the large travelling contingent.

ALFRETON: Willis; Clackstone, Digie, Wiley, Newall, Cantrill, Lund, Thewlis (Salmon 90+7), Fewster (Perritt 112), Waldock, Day (McDonagh 79). Other subs: Brisley, Askew.

To keep up with the Reds – go to here

What’s happening at your sports club?
Email our Editor Belinda at or upload your story and accompanying photo(s) direct to our website here