Alfreton Town

Match report: Alfreton Town 0-0 Bradford (Park Avenue)

Posted by: Laura Hammond

Tue 15th November 2022

Written by Liam Henton

Reds forced to settle for share of the points

Alfreton Town and Bradford (Park Avenue) played out a goalless stalemate on an unseasonably warm and sunny November afternoon at the Impact on Saturday (November 12).

Chances for both sides were at a premium throughout the 90 minutes. Latest Reds recruit Jordan Thewlis, signed from Spennymoor Town for an undisclosed fee in midweek, was bright and breezy on his Alfreton debut and posed a threat as Billy Heath’s side made the better start to proceedings of the two sides.

With 10 minutes gone, some good work from the aforementioned Thewlis saw him pick out Dayle Southwell who fired wide of the post.

On the quarter hour, visiting goalkeeper George Skyes Kenworthy fumbled Adam Lund’s long throw in to the box as Jordan Thewlis’ follow up shot was well blocked by Avenue for a corner.

Alfreton’s best chance of the entire contest came from the flagkick as Matt Rhead’s powerful header was clawed away in a fantastic save by Kenworthy.

Thewlis was denied by Kenworthy from close range as Alfreton enjoyed the better of the opening 20 minutes.

The visitors rarely threatened all afternoon but Lucas ODunston shot wide just after the half hour and eight minutes before the interval, Alfreton belatedly cleared their lines following a goalmouth scramble.

HT – Alfreton Town 0-0 Bradford (Park Avenue)

Alfreton began the second half with renewed purpose as Rhead’s shot was held by the Bradford (PA) keeper before Adam Lund headed over from a Southwell corner on 53 minutes.

Chances became few and far between in the remainder of a match regularly interrupted by referee Ben Wyatt’s whistle.

Bradford enjoyed their best chance with 64 on the clock as Willis pulled off a point blank save from Spencer.

Jordan Thewlis turned and scuffed a shot wide following good build up from Bailey Hobson on 73 minutes.

Substitute Ahmed Salam couldn’t sort his feet out when well placed with 11 minutes remaining as temperatures began to raise in the away dugout with Avenue boss Mark Bower fortunate to avoid a booking from ref Wyatt.

Neither side could muster a decisive breakthrough as the game finished goalless at the Impact Arena.

Billy Heath would have been content with a clean sheet after two recent away defeats but will know the reds have to improve as they head to Blackwell Meadows to face Darlington FC in the FA Trophy without Matt Rhead, who picked up another caution which rules him out of the clash.