Alfreton Town FC play at the Impact Arena in Alfreton

Match report: Alfreton Town 1-0 Farsley Celtic

Posted by: Laura Hammond

Mon 16th January 2023

Written by Lisa Towerzey for Alfreton Town FC

Unbeaten run extended to five matches.

Alfreton Town gained three valuable points on Saturday (January 7) when Farsley Celtic visited the lmpact Arena, but the issue wasn’t settled until the 83rd minute.

Indeed it looked for all intents and purposes that the two teams were headed for a third goal-less stalemate in their last three meetings, until defender Dwayne Wiley broke the deadlock when he converted Danny Preston’s deep free-kick from eight yards.

It was Preston’s tenth “assist” of the season and the result was the Reds’ hat-trick of clean sheets, as well as a fifth game unbeaten since failing to win at all throughout November.

Despite languishing near the foot of the National League North standings Farsley were a stubborn side to break down and, particularly in the first half, engineered enough chances to have taken the lead themselves.

James Spencer [twice] and Lewis Butroid both had clear chances that needed dealing with, whilst keeper George Willis at one point had to dash out of his area to head clear as Kian Scales was played through.

For Alfreton Jordan Thewlis had an early opportunity but fired inches wide, then a long raking run by Bailey Hobson resulted in a stifled shot being held by visiting keeper Max Dearnley.

Butroid threatened again as the second half began, put through by Frank Mulhearn, but Alfreton settled down to concentrate on attack and Thewlis had a shot blocked from an almighty Willis clearance upfield.

Both Matt Rhead and Conor Branson appeared to be bundled over in the box with no penalty ensuing before Thewlis had the ball in the net from a long Adam Lund throw, only for the “goal” to be ruled out.

It certainly hadn’t been a smooth passage for the Reds – the only blot on the afternoon being manager Billy Heath’s dismissal in added time for the use of a colourful description of the referee’s performance.