Match report – Alfreton Town 2-1 Spennymoor Town

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Mon 15th April 2024

Here is the latest match report from Alfreton Town from the Alfreton Football Club’s website.

Alfreton Town 2-1 Spennymoor Town on Saturday, April 13

Reds grab monumental win to seal play offs and make it 13 home games unbeaten in all competitions

Ofton go five unbeaten and secure their spot in the playoffs for the second consecutive season after huge win over Moors at Fortress Impact Arena
An impressive first half display produced a two goal advantage which was ultimately too much of a mountain for Spennymoor to climb.
Billy Heath for the fifth successive game went unchanged, whilst only playing on Thursday Graeme Lee shuffled the pack as Finley Shrimpton and Corey McKeown returned to the starting eleven.
Alfreton seemed to settled into game earlier and deal with the conditions the better of the two sides and that was shown when they took a deserved early lead. A direct ball was flicked on well by Jake Day into the path of Billy Fewster who despatched from the right side of the box into the left side of the goal for his fifth goal of the season. Advantage Alfreton.
The next big chance also fell to Alfreton on the half hour mark, Jake Day again involved, this time combining with Jordan Thewlis but his effort was smashed over the bar.
Minutes after Jake Day then turned provider from Liam Waldock who went 1
one on one with Brad James who expertly tipped past the post.
A persistent Alfreton deservedly took a two goal lead on thirty eight minutes after Jake Day tapped in from close range. Brad James made an initial save from Jordan Thewlis but Jake Day reacted quickest in the box to poke home for Ofton.
Alfreton went into half time two goals to the good and were good value for that lead.
Into the second half Jake Day continued to cause Spennymoor problems and nearly scored again when he took a long ball down on his chest and volleyed from range but the ball hit the foot of the post and away to safety.
As the second half went on, the Moors began to get a foothold and Corey McKeown found space to deliver a teasing cross from the right which found Rob Ramshaw at the back post but his header crashed back off the bar and the hosts survived.
On 76 minutes, Moors having missed a few half chances, got an avenue back into the game. A corner taken short was then clipped to the far post which was brilliantly volleyed home by Glen Taylor for 2-1. Alfreton had fifteen minutes to see out for a place in the playoffs.
He didn’t have much to do for the first seventy minutes, but George Willis was forced into making a match winning save on 83 minutes after Callum Ross slipped the ball through to Glen Taylor on the left of the area but Willis was out quick and pushed the ball wide of the goal. The pressure was building for the Moors.
Alfreton have been left to rue points dropped late on in games this season, but Billy Heath’s team stood strong to a man and following five minutes of injury time saw out a brilliant victory.
Following an incredible season, Alfreton now travel to Scarborough with a place in the play offs secured.

Alfreton Town: Willis, Clackstone, Digie, Wiley, Newall, Cantrill, Lund, Waldock (Perrett 73), Thewlis (Salmon 78), Fewster, Day (Taylor 86). Unused: McDonagh, Askew.

Moors: James, Ledger, Mbeka, Pollock, Staunton, Dolan (Ross 68), Shrimpton, Greenfield (Fletcher 54), Ramshaw, McKeown, Harris (Taylor 54). Unused: Myers, Liddle.

Attendance: 679

To keep up with the Reds – go to here

What’s happening at your sports club? Email our Editor Belinda at or upload your story and accompanying photo(s) direct to our website news