Match report for Alfreton Town vs Chester FC

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Thu 23rd November 2023

Alfreton Town add to an unwanted streak after tough game against Chester FC

Alfreton Town 1-1 Chester FC – Tuesday, November 21

Here is the latest match report from Alfreton Football Club. It is from the Alfreton Town vs Chester FC match on Tuesday, November 21. Both the report and photo are from the Alfreton Football Club’s website:

Alfreton got the game underway, but it was Chester with the first chance of the game that came in the second minute.
There was an early penalty claim in the seventh minute from Chester as Harrison Burke got around the outside of Jordan Thewlis, drove into the box and went shoulder to shoulder with George Cantrill who came out on top.
The first goal came in the 12th minute when Chester captain, George Glendon, picked the ball up on the left-hand side, played a good pass through a gap in the Alfreton defence for Declan Weeks to drive into the left side of the box and put the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal.
However, Alfreton attempted to make a comeback, as proven by a string of attempts in the 17th minute, one of which was a flick on from Ryan Taylor to Thewlis, who crashed his effort against the bar.
Alfreton got on level terms in the 23rd minute as Nathan Newall took a brilliant corner from the left for Chester defender, Liam Edwards, to put it in the back of his own net. Alfreton looked like a completely different side compared to when they conceded and began come in to the game more
Chester were trying to get a second before the end of the half with multiple close chances coming, but they were all brilliantly saved by George Willis or blocked by the Alfreton defence.
Chester got the second half underway and once again had the first decent chance of the second half as Joel Taylor made a good run down the left flank and played a cross which almost caught Willis out and went in, but the keeper made a great fingertip save to push it away.
Apart from the early chance, it was a very quiet first 20 minutes in the second half as Alfreton looked more settled into the half, but neither team looking like scoring the third goal of the game.
Another controversial penalty shout came in the 78th minute for Alfreton as Chester captain supposedly handled the ball in the box but the referee waved it away.
With just under ten minutes to go, Burke made a steaming run starting from just outside his own box which saw him make a pass to Glendon on the edge of the Alfreton box, who cut inside to get his shot away but was too light of a shot to create any difficulty for goalkeeper Willis, who comfortably saved it.
It finished honours even at the Impact Arena as the two sides drew for the fourth meeting in succession.

To keep up to date with Alfreton Football Club go to here

What’s been happening at your sports club? Email our Editor Belinda at, or upload your story direct to our website here