Match report for Alfreton Town vs Macclesfield FC

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Mon 20th November 2023

Reds exit FA Trophy at the first hurdle as Silkmen enact revenge for FA Cup defeat earlier in campaign.

Alfreton Town 2-4 Macclesfield FC

Here is the latest match report from Alfreton Football Club. It is from the Alfreton Town vs Macclesfield FC match on Saturday, November 18. The report is by Vaughan Creer from the Alfreton Football Club’s website:

Alfreton Town fell to defeat against Macclesfield FC, in a repeat of the FA Cup fourth qualifying round tie earlier this season, with the Silkmen’s new management team able to end the Reds FA Trophy run at the first opportunity.
It would be safe to say that Alfreton got off to a poor start, conceding after just thirty seconds, the visitors taking the lead following some intricate play on the edge of the area, finished off by Kane Drummond, whose well-struck effort beat George Willis at the near post.
The Silkmen looked to have control of the game, though that momentum would shift with fourteen minutes on the clock, as Ofton found an equaliser via Jake Day, the forward picked out the far corner after Dylan Mottley-Henry worked the ball into the box.
Mere moments later, Alfreton were presented with a golden opportunity to complete a two-minute turnaround, as Day won a penalty, adjudged to have been felled by defender Freddie Sass, however Liam Waldock stepped up and failed to convert, with Dylan Berry preventing the initial spot-kick as well as the follow-up from Harry Perritt.
Berry would be beaten eventually though, as Mottley-Henry, previously provider, turned goal-scorer, as he flicked a header past the goalkeeper from the centre of the box having been cleverly teed up by Adam Lund.
Approaching the hour-mark, the away side came out hunting for a leveller, and following a disallowed goal from Drummond, they netted only five minutes later, as Luke Duffy converted a cross from substitute Brandon Lee.
It only got worse for Alfreton, as Macclesfield took the lead from the spot on seventy-four minutes, resultant of Dwayne Wiley fouling John Rooney in the box, leaving captain Alex Curran to step up and send Willis the wrong way.
With the Reds chasing the game, the visitors took advantage, and sealed victory for themselves through a Duffy double, whose spectacular run concluded with a tidy finish into the bottom corner.
The visitors held on to their lead and saw the game out, handing Alfreton a second successive defeat at home, and ended the FA Trophy run in the 2nd round.
Alfreton return to league action on Tuesday, November 21, hosting Chester FC in the National League North.

ALFRETON: George Willis; Josh Clackstone, Adam Lund, Kennedy Digie, Dwayne Wiley, Jake Day, Liam Waldock, Harrison Perritt [George Cantrill 72], Billy Fewster [James Oliver 80], Nathan Newall, Dylan Mottley-Henry.
Subs: George Cantrill, Jake Askew, Shaun Brisley, James Oliver, Will Grewal-Pollard, Ryan Taylor.
MACCLESFIELD: Dylan Berry; Tre Pemberton, Lewis Fensome, Laurent Mendy, Paul Dawson, Neil Kengni [Alex Hurst 61], Kane Drummond, Alex Curran [Luke Murphy 86], John Rooney, Luke Duffy, Freddie Sass [Brandon Lee 61].
Subs: Conor O’Keefe, Brandon Lee, Luke Murphy, Alex Hurst, Oliver Ryan.

To find out more about Alfreton Football Club, go to here