Match report – Peterborough Sports 1-1 Alfreton Town

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Fri 26th January 2024

Here is the match report for the Peterborough Sports v Alfreton Town game on Tuesday, January 23, which is from the Alfreton Football Club’s website:

Reds extended unbeaten run with another point on the road
Alfreton Town travelled to Peterborough Sports on Tuesday night in National League North and emerged with a share of the points with their hosts in challenging conditions brought on by Storm Jocelyn as the Reds extended unbeaten run to five matches.
A howling wind meant it wasn’t one for the purists with conditions clearly difficult for both teams at PIMS Park.
In front of a season low crowd of 195 it was the Reds benefiting from the wind direction in the first half that made the brighter start to proceedings of both teams.
With four minutes on the watch, George Cantrill intercepted the ball in the midfield before carrying it forward and playing the ball through to the lively Billy Fewster who saw his low cross intercepted by the Sports defence.
On seven minutes Alfreton’s first long thrust in to area fell to Billy Fewster on the edge of the box but his shot was off target.
On 14, Jake Day looked to play a one two with George Cantrill and bundle his way in to the area before it was cleared away by the home side.
Peterborough Sports enjoyed a rare foray forward on 16 minutes as the dangerous Dion Sembie-Ferris won a corner after his shot was deflected behind following a strong solo run with the stormy conditions dictating play to a huge extent.
On 19 minutes Billy Fewster looked to pick out the on rushing Lewis Salmon with an accurate pass however Sports keeper Peter Crook read the danger with the ball cannoning in to Salmon before landing wide of the goal.
Alfreton were enjoying the better of things with the assistance of the wind and created the best chance of the first half as Peterborough Sports keeper Crook was called in to action for the first time as Jake Day picked up the ball on 33 minutes and fed Billy Fewster who tested the shot stopper with a low effort.
Both sides went in level at the half time interval with Alfreton creating the vast majority of the few chances with major incident at a premium given the conditions.
Peterborough Sports, nicknamed the Turbines enjoyed the assistance of the stormy conditions during the second half. Indeed they almost broke the stalemate on 48 minutes when Mark Jones squared for the on rushing Josh Mccammon but his stabbed effort towards goal was saved by a grateful George Willis.
The gusty conditions were making things difficult for both teams with little of note happening in the second half.
Peterborough Sports won a corner with 21 minutes of the contest to play. With the ball bouncing around in the area Referee Oliver Mackey blew for a penalty after Hugh Alban Jones was ajudged to have been brought down by Liam Waldock in the penalty area.
After a short delay Dan Lawlor stepped up to give the hosts the lead from 12 yards as he fired the ball past Willis.
To their credit The Reds didnt allow the set back to affect them and continuing to battle manfully for a route back in to the game. Reds boss Billy made a tactical switch introducing Dwayne Wiley and Jordan Thewlis from the bench to the fray and it had the desired effect. Indeed both teams had scored in all three previous meetings between the sides and that trend was to continue as with seven minutes to play.
George Cantrill fed substitute Jordan Thewlis combined with fellow sub Josh Clackstone, his low delivery found Nathan Newall on the other wing after an aid of a small deflection of a Sports foot with the Alfreton defender cutting inside and firing a shot which struck the post, came out to the in form Liam Waldock who also hit the woodwork with his first attempt before making no mistahe with his second effort to bring Ofton level on the night.
The goal gave Alfreton renewed impetus with the Reds finishing the game the stronger of the two sides. Nathan Newall delivered a peach of a cross late on as five added minutes where signalled but Sports managed to get a boot on the ball to clear as Alfreton remain unbeaten in four meetings with the Turbines as the matched finished all square at 1-1.

ALFRETON: Willis, Perritt, (Clackston 74) Newall, Lund, Cantrill, Digie, Waldock, Day, Salmon, (Thewlis 79) Fewster, (Wiley 79) Brisley. Other subs: Askew,Stacey

Referee – Oliver Mackey
Attendance: 195

For more information about the football club, go to here

What’s been happening at your sports club? Email our Editor Belinda at or upload your story and accompanying photo(s) direct to our website here