Match report – Scarborough 0-1 Alfreton Town

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Mon 22nd April 2024

Here is the latest match report from Alfreton Town from the Alfreton Football Club’s website.

Scarborough 0-1 Alfreton Town on Saturday, April 20

Ofton finish spectacular season with away win
A well deserved win caps off a fantastic league campaign and sends the Reds into the play offs on the back of five game unbeaten streak.
Shaun Brisley’s second goal of the season earned Alfreton all three points at the Flamingo Land Stadium. After naming the same team in the last five fixtures, Billy Heath made as many changes, with the play offs already secured.
Alfreton started the game the better of the two sides and had their first chance after just two minutes. Harry Perritt’s cross was flashed across the box but nobody in a yellow shirt was able to connect and divert it goalwards and the hosts survive and early scare.
Just as Scarborough seemed to get a hold of the game Alfreton took the lead. Another quality delivery into the box from Perritt saw Shaun Brisley out-jumped Ryan Whitley in goal and the ball looped up and into the goal for Alfreton. It was the central defender’s second goal of the season – Strangely Brisley had scored Alfreton’s first goal of the season at South Shields on the opening day and of course the final goal of the regular season at Scarborough
Alfreton then pushed on and looked for a second. After some brilliant centre forward play from Ryan Taylor, Liam Waldock was played though on goal but his effort was straight at Whitley. The Sea Dogs best chances came from corners, of which there were six in the first half, but Alfreton stood strong and defending the box well.
On twenty-seven minutes Harry Green saw his long range effort clip the top of the bar and that was the closest the hosts came to opening their account in the first half. Alfreton headed into the break one up and good value for their lead.
It was much of the same as the second half. On fifty minutes, George Cantrill won the ball back in an advanced area and did well to get set the ball for Josh Clackstone, who’s effort from the edge of the box was just over.
Following a foul from Nathan Newall, Lewis Moloney who is known for his dead ball efforts, saw his attempt pushed just wide of the post by George Willis. Willis was forced to save well again from Moloney minutes later. An awkward bounce allowed the Boro defender to snatch the ball from Newall in the area but Willis was out quick and saved initially before catching the loose ball.
The Reds did come close to extending their lead in the second half. Taylor played through an onrushing Jordan Thewlis who audaciously looked to chip the keeper from distance but the effort went just wide.
Billy Heath shuffled the pack late on but the game simmered out with no real chances in the final stages for either side and the curtain closed on the regular season.
Alfreton secure three points on the road and head into the play offs versus Boston on Tuesday unbeaten in five matches.
Attendance 1,835 (including 176 from Alfreton)

Tickets for the playoff eliminator versus Boston United on Tuesday (April 23) are now available.
They are available from here

To keep up with the Reds – go to here

What’s happening at your sports club? Email our Editor Belinda at or upload your story and accompanying photo(s) direct to our website here