Spennymoor Town 0-0 Alfreton Town

Match report: Spennymoor Town 0-0 Alfreton Town

Posted by: Laura Hammond

Thu 18th August 2022

Written by Alfreton Town FC’s media team

Reds hold onto away draw

Alfreton Town returned from the North East on Tuesday (August 16) night with their third draw from the opening three games in the new National League North season – but make no mistake this felt more like a win after withstanding intense pressure from being reduced to 10 men for three-quarters of the game.

Conor Branson was sent off in a controversial 23rd minute incident following a rash tackle on Jordan Thewlis that led to an altercation between himself and veteran defender James Curtis, the Reds’ skipper harshly adjudged by referee Darius Bradley to have lashed out.

Having enjoyed a couple of promising sorties by both Bailey Hobson and Dayle Southwell, as well as a shot fired over by Fraser Preston in the opening four minutes, Alfreton were firmly pegged back as the hosts forged downhill and by the 11th minute Glen Taylor had seen a goal disallowed for off-side and a shot rebound off the upright.

Taylor was again denied by the same post on 26 minutes and only some heroic defencing by the depleted Reds allowed them to reach half-time level, the intense pressure continuing unabated after the break.

With 49 minutes on the clock Rob Ramshaw was the next Spennymoor player to see his shot rebound off the woodwork before Alfreton finally summoned a push forward themselves to gain their only corner of the game on 53.

Southwell’s delivery picked out a stretching Tom Denton with home keeper Max Metcalfe gathering under pressure from Dom Smith, then sub Danny Preston cut in from the left to provide Hobson with a strong drive that was also held by Metcalfe.

Preston homed in again a few minutes later but fired wide before Spennymoor continued their onslaught with Charlie Watt forcing Smith into a goal-line clearance.

Taylor decided to test the strength of the crossbar as the Reds survived again, then George Willis had to be alert in dealing with further efforts from Watt and Taylor.

Preston was next to clear off the line, this time from Scott Duxbury, the full-time whistle bringing a huge sigh of relief to visiting players and supporters in unison.