Stalemate for first FA Cup match between Alfreton Town and Walsall

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Wed 6th December 2023

Alfreton Town 0-0 Walsall

It was stalemate at the end of last night’s FA Cup match between Alfreton Town and Walsall football clubs.
The two teams came head to head for the FA Cup second-round game which took place at Alfreton’s North Street Stadium last night (Tuesday, December 5).
The 0-0 result means that the two teams will now have a replay match next Tuesday (December12) at Walsall’s Bescot Stadium with kick off at 7.45pm.
There was a packed 3,000 crowd watching the game between Alfreton Town – which plays in the
National League North – and Walsall – which is 38 league places above Alfreton and plays in League Two.
Speaking to BBC Radio Derby, Alfreton manager Billy Heath said of last night’s match: “It was a close game, both teams had certain chances, but I thought we edged it. We had a bit more goalmouth action, our chances were a bit clearer.
“We’re disappointed with that, but these players were magnificent. The first ten minutes we looked a bit edgy and made a few wrong choices, but after that it was game on and we gave as good as we got.
“We have to remind ourselves that these players were at work today. There was an accident on the M18 and I was sat in it, we had a car of players sat in it – what they’ve done tonight is fantastic.”
Billy continued: “We get very little credit in our league but we have really good individuals with good character and we’re still in the tie.
“We won’t be going there with a whimper, we still think we can win the tie. It will be even more difficult than tonight but we believe we have a chance.”
Which ever team wins next Tuesday’s game will go on to play Southampton in a FA Cup third-round match at the Hampshire Saint Mary’s Stadium on Saturday, January 6, with kick off at 3pm.

Photos are stills taken from the BBC coverage of the match.

What did you think of last night’s match? Email your thoughts to our Editor Belinda at