The latest from Alfreton Football Club

Posted by: Belinda Hargreaves

Wed 15th November 2023

Here is the latest match report from Alfreton Football Club.
It is from the Alfreton vs Scarborough match on Saturday, November 11.
The report is by Vaughan Creer from the Alfreton Football Club’s website:
Alfreton tasted defeat at home for the first time since August at the hands of Scarborough Athletic, who got the better of Billy Heath’s side, who looked a lot less sharp than usual.
Despite a quiet and even opening to the match, the closure of the first half provided a hectic spectacle, that saw Ofton go two behind and get one back in the space of just five minutes.
An uncharacteristic Alfreton looked defensively unorganised on occasions, allowing for Scarborough to take a surprising two-goal lead, as well as forcing George Willis into making numerous saves to prevent a heavier deficit.
Following some sustained pressure, the visitors took the lead on thirty-six minutes through Frank Mulhern, who snuck in behind the backline following a free-kick scramble and kept himself onside, finishing cleverly past Willis.
A mere three minutes later, the lead was doubled, this time through Harry Green, who capped off a well-worked move from the away side, picking apart the defence with a series of passes, putting themselves into a comfortable position.
Though the goal cushion wouldn’t last long, as Ofton halved the deficit via Jake Day, who smartly lifted the ball over Scarborough goalkeeper Ryan Whitley having been played through by Jordan Thewlis at a tight angle.
With work to do, Alfreton came out stronger, and looked the more dangerous side to begin with, with winger Dylan Mottley-Henry coming close to finding an equaliser, though his point-blank header was claimed by Whitley in the Scarborough goal.
Failing to take that chance proved to be costly, as the visitors found a third on sixty-six minutes through Luca Colville, who impressively weaved his way past multiple challenges and eventually found the finish to ultimately ensure victory.
Other than a couple of half-chances from substitute Ryan Taylor and Billy Fewster, the forward threat from Alfreton was sufficiently nullified by the visiting defence, who saw out the win in unlikely circumstances, and returned home with all three points.

ALFRETON: George Willis; Josh Clackstone, Adam Lund, Kennedy Digie, Dwayne Wiley, Jordan Thewlis, George Cantrill, Jake Day [Ryan Taylor 49], Liam Waldock [Billy Fewster 66], Nathan Newall, Dylan Mottley-Henry.
Subs: Harrison Perritt, Jake Askew, Shaun Brisley, Billy Fewster, Ryan Taylor.
SCARBOROUGH: Ryan Whitley; Kieran Weledji [Bailey Gooda 45], Lewis Maloney, Will Thornton, Alex Purver, Frank Mulhern, Harry Green [Curtis Durose 90], Luca Colville [Dom Tear 90], Alex Wiles, Ryan Qualter, Alex Brown.
Subs: Bailey Gooda, Michael Coulson, Dom Tear, Curtis Durose, Finley Barnes.

Alfreton Football Club’s First Team’s next match for the Cup is on Saturday (November 18) against Macclesfield FC, with kick off at 3pm.

For more information go to